NSF Student Travel Grants for attending IEEE SmartComp 2023
A limited number of student travel grants are available for students from US-based institutions to attend SmartComp 2023. The travel award typically covers up to $1,250 of expenses, including registration, airfare, and lodging. However, the final number may be lower based on the number of applicants.
Award selection committee members: Dr. Sajal Das , Dr. Aniruddha Gokhale, Dr. Eirini Eleni Tsiropoulou
- Application deadline: May 15, 2023 - 11:59pm (anywhere on earth)
- Notification of acceptance: May 23, 2023
The support is intended to cover the costs of attending the conference. The costs include conference registration, transportation, and lodging. Students receiving travel awards may be expected to volunteer at SmartComp 2023. Selection for the student travel grants will be in accordance with the following guidelines (please read them carefully, the eligibility and priorities have changed from the previous year according to the latest NSF guidelines):
- The applicant must be a current student at a recognized US institution of higher education.
- The students may be pursuing an undergraduate or a graduate degree and field of study must be related to IEEE Smartcomp.
- US citizens or US permanent residents receive preference; others are eligible to apply and will be considered.
- Students who belong to groups that are under-represented in STEM and from minority-serving or under-represented institutions and states are specifically encouraged to apply
- Students and institutions who have not attended a SmartComp in the past.
- Student authors who are not presenting a paper/poster/demo at a SmartComp event or whose paper/poster/demo were not selected for publication at a conference and would benefit from attending the conference.
- Student authors whose paper/poster/demo do not have any grant acknowledgments.
- Consideration will be given to other applicants falling outside the above categories, but they need to demonstrate a well- justified financial need
How to Apply
The student applicant must complete the application form at: https://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu/smartcomp2023-travelgrant. The application will require the student to provide an advisor reference letter and will have to upload it with the travel application. The advisor letter should have a subject "SmartComp 2023 Travel Award Support Letter" and no more than a few sentences response to each question below (bullet point response appreciated for each question below in your email) before the application deadline:
- Name of the student applicant and degree program enrolled this semester.
- Does the student belong to a group that is under-represented in STEM? If yes, describe.
- Is your institution a minority-serving or an under-represented institution or in an under-represented state? If yes, describe.
- Please describe how the student plans to participate at the SmartComp. Students who are not presenting authors of papers at a conference receive higher priority.
- If the student is presenting a paper/poster/demo at SmartComp, does the paper acknowledge a grant? If the paper/poster/demo has a grant acknowledgment, the applicant would generally receive a low priority.
- Do you strongly support the application from this student for this travel award? Please provide any statements in support of this application.
Successful applicants will receive an award letter by e-mail together with instructions on how to receive refunds, which will be issued to the person or institution that covered the expenses. Successful students who are part of a PhD program will also be required to participate in the PhD Forum.